(1862 - 1952)
Belgian architect and teacher
Son of an architect, Paul Saintenoy trained as architect from 1881 in Antwerpen and then in Brussels.
His early works (1890) were infleunced by the Flemish Renaissance Revival style.
Paul Saintenoy adopted the then dominant Art Nouveau style in the mid-90s building the famous Old England Department Store, 2 rue Montagne de la Cour (1899) in Brussels, the Hôtel Baron Lunden, 81 avenue Louise also in Brussels.
With the help of Sauvage and Sarrasin he builted the Losseau House, 37 rue de Nimy in Mons with its original interior decoration realised also by Emile Gallé.
After 1904 he moved to a more classic style and from 1910 he started a teaching carreer at the Académie Royale des Beaux Arts in Brussels.
His most admired work remains the Old England Department Store perhaps the most typical Art Nouveau building of Brussels with its 6 floors made of glass and swirling iron. The façade is one of the most reproduced Art Nouveau façades of Belgium.
Old England Department Store, Brussels (1899);
Hôtel Baron Lunden, Brussels (1898);
Maison Losseau, Mons (1899)